Thursday, September 17, 2009

By the Numbers...

Like I said in my previous post, numbers are just so hard to visualize.  The goal of my project is to create those statistics into memorable visuals. 

But, understanding my subject matter is also important.  Found loads of stats on my topic, but these stood out the most to me.

Homelessness (By the Numbers)

Families with kids make up 1/3 of the country’s homeless (Time Magazine)

1 in 50 kids are homeless and these numbers are predicted to skyrocket.  (Time Magazine)

Average age of a homeless person:  9 years old.  (familypromise.org)

In NYC, 70% of homeless people residing in the municipal shelter system are parents and children in families (Sidewalk Stores by Salvo Galano)

In 2004, 50% of the families entering Alpha House had at least one head of household employed. Currently, the families entering Alpha House have reflected the state of the Michigan economy and less than 10% of the heads of household enter with stable employment.  (familypromise.org)  

And that last study was done in 2004.  Imagine what it is now!




No comments:

Post a Comment